I’ve noticed a trend, especially with my children’s generation, to want everything NOW – to want instant gratification, all the time.
Now, I’ll admit that I’m not the most patient individual in the world but I recognise that for certain things, it is well worth putting in the time to achieve something lasting and worthwhile.
This is especially true of fitness and sport – if you want to lose weight, build muscle, improve endurance, power or technique, you absolutely must put in the hours!
A few pointers I’ve learned through years of going to the gym and participating in sports:
– have a long term goal that you plan to achieve by accomplishing shorter term goals
– make a plan and stick to it
– review the plan, change it as you achieve your goals and make new goals. This is progress!!
– setbacks are inevitable but make peace with them as soon as you can and push on
– be realistic! Progress takes months… not days or even a few weeks…
And finally, once you’ve achieved your goal, set another, push yourself to achieve more – even if that goal is ‘just’ to maintain a particular fitness level (easier said than done!)
And if you’d like some motivation, give me a call – I quite enjoy getting people going!
It’ll all be worth it in the end…